Ageing &Comprehensive Periodontal Maintenance Program
Aging and Oral Health
As we all get older it becomes increasingly important that we maintain our oral health. We have written about the oral systemic disease interface, the relationship between oral health and ones long term systemic health.
People are now living longer healthier lives and older adults are more likely to keep their teeth for a lifetime. However research has shown that older people also have the highest rate of periodontal disease. Over 50% of the people over the age of 55 have some periodontal disease and 25% of the adults over 65 have lost all of their teeth as a result of periodontal disease. If you have succeeded in maintaining your teeth as you age it is especially important that you maintain oral health routines. You should receive a comprehensive periodontal examination each year.
You should brush and floss daily. If you have dexterity problems or are physically disabled and find it difficult to maintain your oral hygiene program let us know and we will suggest options to make the process easier while you continue to maintain your oral health.
Comprehesive Periodontal Maintenance Program
- At each periodontal maintenance appointment at Valley Periodontics we will:
- Review your current dental and medical history.
- Review any changes in your medications and their effects on your oral health.
- Do a complete oral cancer screening.
- Record, compare, and evaluate your current periodontal status with your past records to detect any early changes in your periodontal health.
- Complete all necessary periodontal maintenance procedures using the newest techniques and most modern equipment.
- Take any necessary x-rays to evaluate the supporting structures of your teeth.
- Review your home care program.
- Make any necessary recommendations about your future oral healthcare needs.
- Update your referring dentist about your current oral health status.
Please e-mail us your coments to: email@example.com